The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) has confirmed the country’s second case of Monkeypox.
The latest case was identified through laboratory testing.
In a statement, the NICD said the case involves a 32-year-old male residing in the Western Cape.
“He reports no recent travel history. Contact tracing has commenced in order to identify any other related cases of Monkeypox in South Africa. Isolation of confirmed cases allows for the prevention of transmission and interruption of the cycle of transmission. Currently, it is not known if the first and second cases are linked,” the institute said on Tuesday, June 28.
The second case follows the first case reported last week, involving a 30-year-old male from Johannesburg, Gauteng, who had no travel history.
Since May, over 4 000 cases of the virus have been confirmed in several European countries and other parts of the world. These include the USA, Canada, Australia, Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. BY MAPEPEZA
Credits to: Mapepeza. https://www.mapepeza.online/