Land invaders delaying school construction – Gauteng department of education

    0
    205

    This came after concerned parents in the area removed their children from a dilapidated Kutumela Molefe Primary School

    The Gauteng department of education has blamed land invaders for the delay in the building of new schools in Lethabong informal settlement in the east of Pretoria.

    This came after concerned parents in the area removed their children from a dilapidated Kutumela Molefe Primary School, demanding a new school because the school was “no longer safe” for their children.

    Last Tuesday morning, the parents resorted to disrupting classes and shutting the school down with immediate effect, because they were “tired of empty promises by the Gauteng education department”.

    Departmental spokesperson Steve Mabona said they were aware the school was very old.

    As the population around the school had grown, the department procured mobile classrooms to accommodate the influx of new learners.

    “It must be noted that in June 2019, the department bought two pieces of land not too far from the school to build a primary school and a secondary school.

    “This year, hardly six months after the invasion of the sites meant for the building of the schools, the community is now demanding a school,” he said

    Community representative Oupa Mahlangu accused the department of failing to respond to their demands last year to build a new school and move their children away from the “unsafe” Kutumela Molefe.

    The parents threatened to close down another school in the area if their demands were not met.

    Mahlangu said the parents were angry because of empty promises by the department and its MEC Panyaza Lesufi.

    Midrand reporter