Traveling with children over the festive season can be daunting for parents, especially when covering long distances.
Besides having to make all the appropriate preparations to ensure everything is booked and every step of the way goes according to plan, parents also have to ensure that their little ones are entertained throughout the long journey.
There are a lot of games and activities which can be taken in the car to keep the children busy.
Activities to keep the children entertained:
- If you have a tablet or portable DVD, put on movies or cartoons for the children to watch
- Bring along educational or activity books for them to read or color in
- Play various games such as ‘I spy with my little eye’ or the ‘number plate’ game
- If you have a portable gaming console, the children can play educational video games on this
- Stop more often at interesting places so the children can stretch their legs and enjoy the fresh air.
Additional tips when traveling with children:
- Make regular rest stops for them to go to the bathroom
- Pack healthy snacks and drinks to avoid sugar highs in the car and irritability
- Ensure the children are seated comfortably and are always wearing their seat belts
- Do not smoke in the car while your children are seated in the vehicle.