Family left with more questions than answers following Vorna Valley resident’s death at Midrand restaurant

    David Weru was a resident of Vorna Valley. Photo: Supplied

    MIDRAND – Police are investigating an inquest docket; the cause of death is unknown at this stage.

    The family of Vorna Valley resident David Weru (25), has been left searching for answers after Weru’s body was found in the bathroom at Galito’s restaurant in Midrand on 15 June.

    Family spokesperson, Dr Chomba Chuma, said, “This is the most shocking news that any parent can get.”Chuma said Weru was last seen by his mother on 13 June when she dropped him off at the Gautrain in Midrand. Weru traveled to Sandton, where he worked as a social media manager.

    At 7.15pm he sent a message to say that he was running late and that he would make dinner for the family. But he never showed up, explained Chuma.

    “The family thought that perhaps he went out with friends, but began getting worried when he never showed up at home.”

    “At 12 noon on Monday (15 June), David’s father was contacted by police to identify his body.”

    Chuma explained that the family was initially resentful towards Galito’s when they heard the news concerning Weru’s death.

    “Galito’s has different channels for communication and they were initially silent, but on Thursday 18 June, the family was contacted by Galito’s and subsequently, they have been very helpful,” said Chuma.

    Weru was laid to rest on 22 June at Waterfall Cemetery.

    Chuma described Weru as an amicable young man who was loved by the community.

    Spokesperson for the Midrand Police Station Sergeant Matome Tlamela said Midrand police are investigating an inquest docket and the cause of death is unknown at this stage.

    Chuma said that the family has been reaching out to the police officer investigating the case on a regular basis, but answers have not been forthcoming.

    Group marketing executive at Galito’s Caitlin Winson said, “We have more questions than answers regarding what took place. David came in just before the store closed on Saturday.”

    She said that when the store manager arrived on Monday, he found the bathroom stall locked and had to break it open with a coin. Winson said that is when Weru’s body was discovered and the manager called paramedics and the police.

    “This news is heartbreaking for the family because they do not know what happened. We are trying to get police to add urgency to this request,” said Winson.

    A Facebook group called ‘In Loving Memory of David Weru’ has been created, where friends have shared memories of Weru and statements from the family.

    By: Sarah Koning