Planning to go on vacation this December? Here are some safety and maintenance tips for your house while you are away.
So you’ve been planning your vacation for a while now and it’s finally edging closer but before you can completely relax into holiday mode, there is still the stress of leaving your home. To get total peace of mind, you have to make sure your house is prepped for the holidays too. There are a number of ways to do this, here are a few ideas:
1. Find a house sitter
The easiest way to ensure the safety of your house while you are away is to get someone you trust to house sit for you while you enjoy your holiday. Ask them to send you daily update with pictures of the house. This way you can rest easy knowing your house is fully taken care of.
2. Lock everything up and go
If a house sitter is not an option. If a house sitter is not an option it’s best to alert your neighbors and security company that you will be away and for how long. Ask a close friend or family member to check in from time to time. Make sure cars and valuables are locked away safely. Lock individual rooms while you are away. If you have an alarm system, activate it for the holidays and make sure your home is secure.
3. Leave the lights on
Burglars usually do not approach houses that seem to be occupied during the holidays. It’s too much of a risk for them. So when you go on holiday, leave some lights on around the house or if you have a system that can time your lights to switch on at night, then it’s even better.
4. Turn your smartphone into a security camera
Follow these steps:
- Make sure you find a good spot in your home where you can view as much as you can. Station your cell phone in a place that has a good film range. Purchase a tripod or stand to mount it.
- There are several apps you can choose from that can turn your phone into a security camera. Choose an app from Google Play Store or iTunes, download and install the app on your phone. You can choose from any of these free apps:
- Home Security Camera
- IP Web Cam
- Tiny Cam monitor
- Follow the instructions after installation and make sure your phone is able to film on standby and that your screen doesn’t go into screensaver mode.
- Your phone has to be charged at all times in order for it to function as a security camera. It will be running 24 hours a day and can drain your battery.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet and that your data works so that your apps are also able to work.
- With an iPhone, you are able to use the Led Flashlight at the back of your phone to capture film when it’s dark otherwise just switching on a light at home should work.
- Make sure you have installed the apps on another cell phone or tablet so that you can monitor your security camera remotely whenever you want.
Enjoy your vacation and be careful what you post on your social media. Maybe wait until after your holiday to post pictures.